Air transportation is the fastest and most convenient mode of transport in Nigeria, making it the preferred choice for many travelers. Despite its numerous advantages, the high cost of air travel remains a drawback. In this article, we will list the five most affordable airlines in Nigeria based on their prices during both on- and off-peak periods.
Cheapest Airlines in Nigeria
The airline industry in Nigeria has experienced rapid growth in the past decade, with increased demand for air travel leading to the emergence of several new airlines. This has sparked fierce competition, with some carriers standing out due to their relatively low fares. These airlines may not necessarily be the best, but they provide a comfortable, hassle-free, and easily accessible service.
The following list highlights the five cheapest airlines in Nigeria based on average ticket prices during peak and off-peak periods. Peak periods usually see a surge in ticket prices due to high demand, while off-peak and slight-peak periods offer more affordable fares.
1. Dana Air
- Economy Fares: Starting at N21,000 during off-peak periods
- Routes: Port Harcourt, Owerri, Abuja, Lagos, and other Nigerian cities
Dana Air, a Nigerian-based airline owned by a group of Indians, ranks among the cheapest airlines in the country. Though its status as the best airline in Nigeria has diminished, Dana Air remains highly rated.
2. Air Peace
- Economy Fares: Starting at N22,000 during off-peak periods
- Routes: Lagos, Owerri, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Sokoto, Kaduna, Calabar, Benin, and Uyo
Air Peace has made significant strides since its inception in 2013. Renowned for its affordable fares and top-notch safety measures, Air Peace flies to major Nigerian cities. Off-peak ticket prices start at N22,000, but booking several weeks in advance is advisable to secure the best rates.
3. Arik Air
- Economy Fares: Starting at N23,000 during off-peak periods
- Routes: Lagos, Abuja, Benin, and Asaba
Arik Air, one of Nigeria’s leading airlines, competes with Air Peace and the rapidly growing Max Air. Offering competitive prices, Arik Air operates flights between major cities. Off-peak ticket prices begin at N23,000 for domestic flights.
- Economy Fares: Starting at N24,000 during off-peak periods
- Routes: Domestic and international destinations such as London, Ghana, and Saudi Arabia
Medview operates both domestic and international routes, flying to destinations such as London, Ghana, and Saudi Arabia. Domestic flights during off-peak periods can cost as low as N24,000, but prices rise significantly during busier seasons.
5. Max Air
- Economy Fares: Starting at N26,000 during off-peak periods
- Routes: Domestic, regional, and international flights
Max Air, one of Nigeria’s top airlines, operates domestic, regional, and international flights. Although not the cheapest option, Max Air ranks among the top five most affordable airlines in Nigeria. Domestic flight tickets can be purchased for less than N26,000 during off-peak periods.