Australian Visa Costs and Application Process for Nigerians (2023)
Australia, renowned for its world-class tourist attractions like the Sydney Opera House and Blue Mountains National Park, has become a popular destination for Nigerians. Apart from tourism, the country boasts high-quality products and exceptional tertiary institutions. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide on the cost of Australian visas for Nigerians and the application process.
Before you start the application process, it is important to understand the various visa categories to ensure you apply for the correct one. The primary categories are:
- Business visa
- Family visa
- Tourist visa
Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) Visa
The Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) visa is a convenient option for individuals worldwide, with an AUD20 service charge. Your location determines your application process:
- If you are already in Australia with a valid visa without condition 8503, you can apply for the tourist stream of the visitor visa online.
- If you are outside Australia, only certain passport holders can apply for this visa online. If you hold a passport from the People’s Republic of China and are applying from China, you might be able to apply for the Visitor Visa (subclass 600) Frequent Traveller stream visa.
Application Process for Nigerians
All visa applications from Nigeria are processed through the Australian High Commission in Pretoria, South Africa. The requirements for an Australian visa include:
- Original, signed Nigerian passport with at least 6 months remaining validity
- Passport-type photograph
- Photocopies of the passport and ID card
- Proof of status
- Medical check report
- Bank Statement
- Employment Letter
- Hotel Reservations
Biometrics (fingerprints and digital photographs) are also required unless you are exempted. You can find more information on biometrics on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.
To book an appointment for your visa application, visit the Australian Visa Application Centre at Etiebets Place, 21 Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way in Ikeja, Lagos. After your application, the processing time will vary depending on the type of visa:
- Tourist visa: 20 to 33 days
- Business visa: 9 to 20 days
- Frequent Traveller visa: 5 to 18 days
- Sponsored Family visa: 50 to 70 days
Cost of Australian Visa in Nigeria
The visa fees depend on the category and are as follows:
- Base application charge: AUD560
- Additional applicant charge (18 and over): AUD420
- Additional applicant charge under 18: AUD140
- Subsequent temporary application charge: AUD700
- Base Application Charge: AUD280
- Additional Applicant charge 18 and over: AUD280
- Additional applicant charge 18 and under: AUD70
- Surcharge rates vary based on the online payment portal used for the application.
Note that visa fees may change periodically, and your visa cost depends on the date your application is received. If there is a price increase between the date you lodged your application and the date your application was received, you may have to pay the new application charge.
For more information on Australian visa applications for Nigerians, visit the Australian High Commission in Pretoria website.