Australia Study Visa
Australia is one of the top destinations for students seeking overseas education, with 8 Universities in the top 100 global Universities offering a world-class learning experience.
Universities in Australia have a strong research focus and excel in sciences, Education, Humanities, and Arts. The quality education, extensive choice of courses, and Post-study job opportunities entice them. Nigerian students are among the top applicants for the Australia Study Visa.
- A favored destination for Indian students
- Educational credentials enjoy global accreditation
- Overseas student’s rights are safeguarded
- A blend of multiple languages
- Financial support from the Government
- Progressively expanding economy offers superior job prospects
- Incredible climate and outdoor adventures
A few of the globally top-ranked Universities are present in Australia. Universities in Australia offer a comprehensive choice of courses in diverse subjects. Moreover, the tuition fees are affordable here compared to the US and the UK. Students who graduate from Universities in Australia can avail themselves of a Post-study Work Visa with a maximum of 4 years of validity. It serves as a pathway to Australia PR Visa.
Australian Universities are renowned for their teaching techniques and high standards. Degrees awarded by them are globally recognized. The comparatively lower cost of living in Australia is another advantage to overseas students.
Students are now permitted to work up to 40 hours weekly during academic sessions, which can assist them in partially covering the tuition fees. Additionally, overseas students can avail of scholarships, further lowering study costs. Thousands of students opt for studying in Australia as its fast-growing economy assures lucrative job prospects upon graduation.
Overseas students who intend to study in Australia must fulfill specific criteria to obtain a Student Visa. After enrolling in a study course full-time, they can apply for the Subclass 500 Visa.
The Subclass 500 Student Visa authorizes its holder to
- Register in a course to participate in an eligible study program
- Be accompanied by family members to Australia
- Exit from and arrive in Australia
- Apply for an extension after the completion of 5 years of Visa validity
Subclass 500 Visa application Steps
Step 1: You must collate all the essential documents before applying for the Visa.
Step 2: The documents required include identity and character proof demonstrating that you have complied with the Visa criteria.
Step 3: You have to file the Visa application online.
Step 4: The Australia Visa authorities will share notification with you once they receive your Visa application.
Step 5: You will receive a notification regarding your Australia Student Visa application status.
Modes of application
The Department of Home Affairs in Australia offers multiple choices for admission to an Australian University. You can apply:
- Directly yourself through the website of the University
- Through a Study Overseas Consultant/Counselor
You can choose the mode through which you wish to apply.
English Language Exam Results
You will have to obtain the test results of an English language exam if your native language is not English. You must appear for the IELTS and obtain the minimum specified scores. The test results must be available before filing the Australia Study Visa application.
Obtain your COE from the Universities
After being selected for a course, you will receive the offer letter from the University/College. A written confirmation of acceptance has to be shared with them, and tuition fees must be paid. You will be offered the Confirmation of Enrollment after this. COE is needed for processing your Australia Study Visa application.
Apply for Australia Subclass 500 Student Visa
You can apply for the Australia Subclass 500 Student Visa once you obtain the essential documents for the application. These include:
- Digital copy of COE – E Confirmation of Enrolment certificate
- GTE – Genuine Temporary Entrant statement
- Proof of financial ability for funding your education in Australia (includes return flight ticket, tuition fees, and AUD 18, 610 annually)
- Evidence of proficiency in the English language – IELTS score
- Approved health insurance coverage by the Australian provider
- Character certificate from Police proving the absence of criminal record
Cost of Studying in Australia in 2022
Courses in Humanities, Education, and Arts are affordable in Australia compared to those in Medicine and Engineering. Postgraduate level programs have higher tuition fees.
|Study Program||Average Tuition Fees in AUD|
|Bachelor /Undergraduate Degree||$15,000 – $35,000 annually|
|Master’s /Postgraduate Degree||$20,000 – $40,000 annually|
|Doctoral /Ph.D. Degree||$14,000 – $37,000 annually|
Intakes In Australia
Universities in Australia have different application deadlines. Nevertheless, two expected application timelines are applicable broadly:
Intake I: Semester 1 – the intake starts in February and is the chief intake for students
Intake II: Semester 2 – the intake starts in July
Work approval for students
Student Applicants must be more than 18 years of age. Overseas students with a valid Australia Study visa can now work up to 40 hours weekly. One exception is the role of Academic Assistant. There is no cap on the number of weekly work hours for Academic Assistants. Overseas students cannot work as Freelancers or be self-employed.
Overseas students can apply for Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa after graduation. The Visa application will be approved based on the stream through which the student applied to study in Australia and the coursework.
Australia Study Visa Requirements in 2022
- You will only qualify for the Subclass 500 Student Visa if you wish to take a registered course or part of it full-time.
- Your chosen course has to be registered with CRICOS – Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students.
- Confirmation of enrollment in a University in Australia through ECOE – electronic Confirmation of Enrolment
- Evidence that the purpose of your arrival in Australia is only for education and not to settle: GTE – Genuine Temporary Entrant statement
- 4 Latest photographs of passport size
- Notarized or certified copies of transcript/ academic results documents
- OSHC – Overseas Student Health Cover approved by the Government of Australia. This can be purchased through the University in Australia. It covers primary hospital and medical cover.
- Test results of English language exams such as PTE, TOEFL, and IELTS for non-native English speakers
- Proof of financial means for catering to all costs during studies in Australia, including living costs, travel, and course fees
- Proof of civil status, if applicable.
- Certificate from Police to demonstrate the absence of any criminal record
- Evidence of having made payment of the Visa fees
The University in Australia that has offered you admission will inform you if there are any additional requirements.
Temporary Graduate Visa
You can qualify for the Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa under the Post-Study Work stream if you complete a Doctoral, master’s, or bachelor’s degree in Australia. The Visa authorizes the holder to work in Australia for 2 to 4 years to gain valuable employment experience. This is after the completion of the study program.
Graduate Work Stream
Overseas students can obtain Australia Work Visa under the Graduate Work Stream. They must possess an eligible qualification and have graduated with qualifications and skills on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List. The validity of the Visa offered under this stream is 18 months.
Top Universities In Australia
|University Name||QS World University Rankings|
|The Australian National University||24|
|The University of Melbourne||39|
|The University of Sydney||42|
|The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)||45|
|The University of Queensland||48|
|The University of Sydney||42|
|The University of Western Australia||91|
|The University of Adelaide||114|
|The University of Technology Sydney||160|
|The University of Newcastle, Australia (UON)||214|
|University of Wollongong||218|
|Queensland University of Technology (QUT)||244|
|University of South Australia||264|
|University of Tasmania||287|
|James Cook University||369|
Australia Study Visa Processing Time
Usually, the Australia Study Visa application is processed within 30 days, but it can also take up to 90 days.
The Australia Study visa application can be filed 124 days before the commencement of your course. You can arrive in Australia 90 days before the commencement of your course.
You can also include dependents, if any, in the same Subclass 500 Student Visa. You must declare the dependents in the application even if they do not accompany you to Australia. If not, they cannot be included in the Dependent Visa application at a later stage.
Simplified Student Visa Framework
SSVF: Simplified Student Visa Framework streamlines the visa processing time. Processing Time for Australia Student Visa is as follows:
|Stream||90% Processing||75% Processing|
|Defense Sector or Foreign Affairs||26 days||20 days|
|Postgraduate Research Sector||77 days||39 days|
|Independent ELICOS Sector||38 days||23 days|
|Vocational Education and Training Sector||52 days||36 days|
|Higher Education Sector||32 days||17 days|
SSVF has streamlined the processing of Australia Study Visa applications. Thus, the average time taken is around 4 to 6 weeks. The educational institution also influences the timeline. The Visa authorities can ask for additional documents if needed or wished.
One of the essential documents for the Student Visa Program process is the ECOE – Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment provided by the education provider in Australia. Only those applications with ECOE are shared with the DHA – Department of Home Affairs.